The federal government has made first formal contact with chief of Balochistan National Party-Mengal after he announced withdrawal from the coalition government.
According to details, Chairman Senate Sadiq Sanjrani called on Sardar Akhtar Mengal to convey the message of government’s negotiating committee which is headed by Defence Minister Pervaiz Khattak.
The Senate Chairman informed BNP-M chief that negotiating committee will soon hold a meeting with him. However, according to sources, Akhtar Mengal stood by his position and said that he has done what he had to do, now the government has to make progress on its commitments.
Sadiq Sanjrani, while assuring him of conveying his message to the committee, said that we can more effectively solve the problems of Balochistan if we work together.
Talking to media after the meeting, Sardar Akhtar Mengal said: “Chairman Senate is not part of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and he visited to know the reasons behind my decision to leave the ruling alliance. I have told him to ask the government why it is not implementing points of agreements.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Balochistan National Party-Mengal (BNP-M) President Sardar Akhtar Mengal announced his party s withdrawal from its alliance with the PTI-led federal government over its failure to implement accords with the party.
Speaking during a session of the National Assembly, he said: “I am officially announcing that our party is ending its alliance with the PTI. We will stay in Parliament and will keep talking about issues.”
Mengal added that the PTI had signed two agreements with the party at the time of government formation after the 2018 elections and later during the presidential elections, but not a single point of the accord was implemented.
“If our demands were illegal and unconstitutional then we are ready to face even death. But then all those who have put their signatures on these accords should also face the same,” he said